Civitella del Tronto is one of the most ancient and characteristic small towns of Abruzzo. Situated on the hill, from one side it faces on the mountain of Campli and on the mountain of Fiori, and from the other side on the valley that extends till the sea.
On the narrow streets of the town face Renaissance period houses, after wonderful little square “Bel Vedere” the road goes till the gate of y.1200, named “Porta Napoli”(“The gate of Napoli”). On this gate have a place the crest of the town, that represent 5 towers.
Going on with description of the town we can mention the church of San Francesco of XIV century and the church of San Lorenzo of XVI century. But Civitella del Tronto is famous particulary for it’s fortress, wich, posted on the frontier of the Kingdom of Napoli had in the past a huge strategic importance. Fortress presents like the most impressive work of military enginering not only of Abruzzo, but of all Italy, with extention of 25 000 mq, very thick and tilted town walls, with 3 lines of the patrol, 2 drill grounds, warehouses, 5 cisterns, lodgings for soldiers and in the higher point
there was a Palace of the Governor, provided with warehouses and own cistern. Also there were a chapel dedicated to Santa Barbara and the church of San Giacomo.
In 1798 and in 1806 the Fortress was besieged by French again and defended by a Dutch commmander Matteo Wade, for whom, Francesco the First of Borbone ordered to raise a monument in the Fortress.
In March of 1806 the Fortress of Civitella del Tronto was the last Bourbon fortress to fall after the beseige of Piedmontese. After the unity of Italy the fortress was dismantled and it was going slowly to ruin. Only in the years 70′ the works of restauration were began and were terminated in 1983. In 1998 was finished also the museum of ancient weapons and the map of the place.
The Fortress of Civitella del Tronto is opened all the days in winter period form 10:00 a.m. till 13:00 and from 14:30 till 17:00 on the work days and holidays from 10:00 a.m. till 17:00.
In the spring period it’s opened from 10:00 till 19:00, in the summer from 10:00 till 20:00, in autumn from 10:00 till 13:00 and from 15:00 till 18:00. Possible guide tours.